Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Idle Model

Man. I’m bored. I’ve been through many of these art modeling breaks during holidays but for some reason this one is feeling interminable. I’m starting to get stir crazy. Nutty. Deranged. Day after day after day with no work. Ugh! Oh sure the chance to decompress, relax, and recharge was nice, and essential. But it’s enough already! I want to model! Instead, I’ve been occupying myself with all sorts of trivial, mundane crap. I organized my linen closet. Yippee! I cleaned out my refrigerator. Thrilling!! :roll:

What is truly thrilling, however, is posing. The physical act of posing. The getting ready for posing. The energy and atmosphere of posing. The dynamic of posing before a room full of artists. The excitement of providing inspiration for a drawing or painting or sculpture. Shit. Where is everybody???? What’s going on??? Helloo???? I’m losin’ it!! :carves profanities into wall with pocket knife . . . tears down Christmas decorations . . . eats tinsel . . . does cartwheels . . . rips up carpet . . . guzzles bottle of tequila . . . sucks lime . . . pukes . . . passes out:

Honestly, I’m jealous. Jealous of this painting. That should be me up there. But it’s not :cry: An accurate portrayal of the art model’s unique vantage point, this is Le Jeune Modele Posant Dans L’Atelier, by Jules Alexis Muenier:

But it’s not all bleak. Yesterday brought signs that work is returning, slowly but surely. Trickling back after the holiday hiatus. I got an email from an FIT instructor who wants to do private work with me. Yay! And I got a voicemail message from Clarity Haynes saying she wants to resume our sessions. Double yay! And very soon, the calls from school model coordinators will come streaming in, ready to do bookings for the spring semester. Bring it, fellas! I want to work! Grrrr.

Models for Olympians, in gouache, by Sir William Russell Flint. What an attractive group of gals:

Someone get me into a studio, fast! This is crazy. I mean, I do things. I have a life and interests and activities, I swear. I even had a hot date the other night with an unbelievably sexy guy ;-) But still, the absence of art modeling leaves this cavernous void. I’m lonely without it.

Painter and Model by Edward Hopper:

I feel hungry. I feel deprived. I feel unproductive. I feel too . . . too . . . clothed :lol:

Aw, shit. That’s what this is all about. The deep-seated need that models harbor and never, ever want to admit. We love the art. We love the creation. We love the interaction. But fundamentally, we’re exhibitionists. We like people looking at us in the nude. And when there’s no art modeling, no one is looking at us. Okay, did my credibility level just drop severely with this embarrassing admission? Dammit!

But unlike most art models, I have this blog. And I can act out my needs and restlessness and desires right here on these pages. My darling readers, humor me please? Let me strike a pose for you. It’s what I do. It’s my livelihood. It’s my passion. And I’m really, really hungry for the . . . attention. Guilty as charged!



Photo by Fred Hatt

[Via http://artmodel.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment